The following is based on bridge groups configured on Bay equipment.  I believe that a
bridge group is like a vlan.  don't know exactly what the all differences are aside
from
the bridge groups not being significant outside of the actual switch ( Information not
passed on from switch to switch).

The Bridge group protocol IEEE probably refers to the version of spanning tree running.
(It could also be IBM which is another version of spanning tree used in source route
bridging. )

I don't know what your setup is but maybe check the version of spanning tree on the IBM
switch.

I hope this is helpful.