From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Rik
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 9:32 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Cat6k vlan configuration

I am concerned with your numbers.  1500 users on an IP (I assume) subnet is
way too many!  Remember, a VLAN will propagae all broadcasts.  Each and
every ARP, BOOTP, etc. will traverse the entire backbone.  I would suggest
you break this down into at least 3, preferably 5 VLANs to minimize the
affect that all of that broadcast traffic will have on your hosts.  Setting
up one of the switches to be a VTP server will greatly minimize your
administrative efforts with VLANs.

Why would you disable CDP?  This is a great resource for troubleshooting
Cisco equipment and produces no noticeable overhead.  I would turn it back
on.  What about trunking?  Are the 2 VLANs going to need to talk to each
other?  You can designate 2 separate switch ports/ router interfaces for
this and not use any trunking, or you could setup a single trunk port for
connecting to a single router interface and use less ports, which is
probably the more common way to do it.  Of course, if you have an RSM, so
much the better.

What about Spanning Tree?  I always purposely select the root bridge by
adjusting the bridge priority value.  Typically do this with the switch that
will handle the most traffic.  You can also setup a secondary root in case
the rpimary ever fails.  By doing this, your root bridges are not selected
randomly.  As a related topic, if you should happen to have any redundant
paths (which you hopefully do, especially between buildings), I suggest
putting them into a port group (Etherchannel, FastEtherchannel, etc.).  No
sense letting Spanning Tree keep one down when you can benefit from the
added bandwidth from the additional link(s).  If one fails, you still have
the redundancy.

Oh yeah, remember this: turn on portfast and turn off PAGP on ALL ports with
end hosts (servers, workstations, etc.) on them.  Otherwise, you will have
problems.  Trust me ;-}

Rik