On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 02:27:18PM -0800, Kim Seng wrote:
> For now, can I just implement Hub-to-Spoke topology of
> PVCs with UBR, AAL5.
>   1. Do I need to do any QoS on these 3600 routers?

Careful using 3600s, the 3620 certainly isn't up to
DS-3 and the 3640 will only just manage DS-3 even
100% fast-switched. Consider a 3660 or 7x00s for remote
sites, certainly for the hub site. 3660s seem better for
Voice than 7x00s.

QoS isn't needed (Generally) for pure data, particularly
if you're upgrading from T1 and there's not going to be
a significant jump in bandwidth usage. For Voice, QoS
will be needed if there is going to be any possibility
of congestion on the line, although Custom Queueing
should be sufficient.

>   2. Do I need to have a Backup links for redundancy
> in case the DS-3 link goes down. What about "Last
> miles" redundancy? Or should I trust the Sprint ATM
> cloud and ignore the backup??? Need your help badly
> here.

Depends. How much does your company rely on the intersite
data links? Probably a lot. Some carriers offer ISDN dialin
to the ATM cloud - this is probably expensive to set up.
Another option is a Primary Rate ISDN at each site and
bring up a T1-worth of ISDN if the line goes down. (Watched
routes are good for this as you can build redundancy
across multiple chassis at the hub site)

>   3. What do I need to do if they want to use these
> DS-3 for AVVID. What type of QoS, CoS, AAL1 or AAL2?

AAL1 is for circuit emulation - good if you're emulating
a T1 trunk for the phone system between sites. With T3
worth of bandwidth, this may not be a noticable hit in
bandwidth at all. OTOH, if you want the most out of your
bandwidth then it may be best to have voice cards in the
3660s at remote sites and do VoATM, which does it's own
QoS. You will probably have to buy an additional PVC from
the telco for differing QoS but I'm not familiar with US
telco pricing.

> What type of Backup should I use if we implement
> AVVID?

Don't know AVVID at all.

--
Ryan O'Connell - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines,
I'm just learning new things with the passage of time