http://www.techfest.com/networking/lan/token.htm

HTH,

TroyC

-----Original Message-----
From: John Neiberger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 3:26 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Token Ring Routing Control Field

True.  So what does the third bit (from the left) do?  I didn't see any
mention of the third bit doing anything so I assumed it was zero, hence
my confusion.  If it's not doing anything, why would it be a one
sometimes and a zero other times?

I've read a token ring FAQ also and still haven't found a mention of
what that bit is for.

Thanks,
John

>>> "John Mistichelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 3/22/01 4:17:59 PM >>>

"A" also starts with 10

A = 1010

B = 1011

  John Neiberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Okay, now I'm confused by something in the Sybex CCIE study guide in
the
token ring chapter. It says that if the first two bits of the routing
control field are 10 the frame is an all-routes explorer. If the first
two bits are 11 then it's a single-route explorer.

In all of their examples, when they convert the first nibble to hex
they use A for allroutes explorer and C to indicate single route
explorer. I understand "C" because 1100 = C, but 1000 = 8, not A.
What's the deal? Am I losing my mind or is the book wrong? I've
noticed the book has been wrong in several other places but this is a
new topic for me.

>From what I can tell, a RIF that starts with 8 is an all-routes
explorer. If it starts with C it is a single-route explorer. If it
starts with zero it is a nonexplorer frame. Is this correct?

Thanks,
John

John Mistichelli
CCSI #20000, CCNP, CCDA, MCSE, CNE