From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Priscilla Oppenheimer
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 9:38 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Performance Comparision between Linux OS Firewall and Cisco
PIX 525

How about if the customer is strapped for money. I work at a school.
Luckily our students haven't gotten sophisticated enough to break into the
Linux firewall but I don't the think that day is too far away. Some of them
are very smart and they are learning Linux and networking in their classes.
But PIX is too expensive, I think??

Priscilla

At 09:24 AM 3/23/01, Rik wrote:
>I have seen way too many Linux firewalls hacked as a result of
>mis-administration.  Now, I'm not assuming anything about your abilities as
>the last confirmed hack that I was notified about was a Linux FW setup by 2
>guys that I know to be excellent Linux admins.  The problem is the inherent
>nature of the beast.  A PIX is totally secure right out of the box.  The
>last Linux hack I speak of was hacked based on an exploit within BIND and
>had nothing to do with the FW policy.
>
>I also find the PIX to be MUCH easier to configure and setup.  I can do in
>only a few lines of code what could possibly take pages and pages of code
in
>Linux.  When talking about firewalls, simplicity is a critically important
>concern.  One compromise could easily remove any upfront cost advantage
>Linux has over Cisco.  Also, you don't have to be concerned with shutting
>down unused services on a PIX as you would on Linux.
>
>Go with the PIX.  It was designed from the ground up to do just what it
>does: protect your network.  Cisco claims that a properly configured PIX
has
>never been compromised.  I believe them.
>
>Rik
>

>""Sean Young"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > My company is putting me in charge in implementing a Firewall for our
> > company.  One guy in my networking group is recommending PIX Firewall.
> > Furthermore, he also recommends a Cisco Web-caching engine.  His reason
> > is that not only Cisco is good Firewall but it also provides VPN
> > connectivity to our remote sites.  Myself, on the other hand, would
> > like to implement Linux-based OS firewall along with FreeS/WAN VPN
> > features set.  My reason is that a linux firewall can provide everything
> > a Cisco PIX does and even more.  In term of hardware, the linux
Firewall/