The router should get the MAC address by ARPing. Try to capture the ARPs.

If the router is fast-switching, then you wouldn't catch the ARPs unless
you clear the ARP table on the router first, (which it sounds like you
can't do since you don't have access to the router.) But this may not be a
problem since fast switching is not the default when the ingress and egress
ports are the same as you describe.

Priscilla