I posted this message last week in the lab mailing list, but no one seemed
to have any insight into it, so given that I know there are a number of
knowledgable people on this list as well, I wanted to through it out to you
also:

This has been discussed in a previous thread but I wanted to open a new one
to see if anyone very knowledgable about the subject could chime in.  From
my reading of the OSPF RFC (page 24 to be specific) it appears that the
intention of the forwarding address field in LSA type 5's is to allow you
to specify that a certain advertised external network should be reached
through a separate router than the ASBR (similar to what you can do with
BGP's next-hop).
The question I have is how can you modify this on a Cisco ASBR, or is it
not allowed?  My best guess would be to use a route-map but I have found no
appropriate 'set' command.  I attempted using 'set ip next-hop' but that
did not change the forwarding address from the default 0.0.0.0, and I
assume is only meant for BGP use?

Any insight would be great.