Have a question for duplex settings.

Just trouble shooting some transient errors that seem to pop up once in a
while and was going over port settings and came across something.

We have a FastE port on a 7206 connected to a 2900XL. The 2900 port is
config'd as:

Auto-duplex (Half), Auto Speed (100), 100BaseTX/FX

and the console log on the 2900 shows:

5w3d: %LINK-4-ERROR: FastEthernet0/24 is experiencing errors

which is the port the 7206 is on.

But on the 7206 the port is config'd as:

Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, 100BaseTX/FX

Why would the switch only go half duplex and the router go full? And would
the commands like this on the 2900 fix this:

conf t
int faste 0/24
duplex full
^Z

This would force the port on the 2900 to go full duplex but the (auto 100)
would be there. Would be better to force the 100 as well and not have it
do auto speed negotiation?

Funny thing is we have a 2900 out of the box plugged into another faste
port on the 7206 and it comes up right. (100/full in auto mode)

Thanks,
Keith