From: ElephantChild [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 2:42 PM
To: Secrist John J Contr 27 IS/IND
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Re: DNS problem?

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Secrist John J Contr 27 IS/IND wrote:

> A funny thing is happening on our network and it has us stumped.
>
> 1 - Some websites are not reachable by typing the hostname in a browser
> (i.e. www.yahoo.com).
> 2 - Some websites ARE reachable by typing the hostname in a browser (i.e.
> www.altavista.com).
> 3 - When I ping the unreachable addresses they time out - but the ping
does
> resolve the IP address.

Do you mean that "ping www.yahoo.com" will time out but will be
able to resolve www.yahoo.com to eg, 1.2.3.4? Or that "ping 1.2.3.4"
will time out but will be able to reverse-resolve 1.2.3.4 to
www.yahoo.com?

> 4 - When I type the IP address in the web browser, the page opens fine.

I assume that you mean the IP address of a host you can't reach, as with
www.yahoo.com in 1 above?

> Was thinking this is maybe a DNS problem....any thoughts?  Thanks,

Hmm, 1 and 4 together imply that there's definitely a DNS problem
somewhere, but I can't tell where from the info you supply. Depending on
what you mean by 3, there may also be a filter somewhere along the way
that blocks ICMP echo requests or echo replies.

--
According to Joyce Melton, "respondability" is cromulent.