Hi John,

I would like to add another point to your observation. With 'no ip
classless' , EIGRP also behaves the same way as OSPF when you have a
supernet for the specific major net.

> Now for the really interesting part (if you've read this far and are still
> awake!)  I set a static 0.0.0.0/0 route on Router B but then also
advertised
> 10.1.0.0/16 from router A.  Now Router B behaved classlessly but only for
> subnets of 10.1.0.0/16!  If I tried to ping 10.2.1.1, for instance, it was
> unroutable, but any subnet of 10.1.0.0/16--even the unknown ones--would be
> routed based on the OSPF-installed supernet route.  I then added
10.2.0.0/16
> to the advertisement and saw what I expected:  packets destined for either
> of those two subnets would be routed, all others failed.

It works the same way if you repeat the above with EIGRP.

But, the default route or GOLR is not considered under this situation if it
is installed by EIGRP, whereas it is looked up when we use OSPF. Looks like
'ip classless' command is closely tied with the default route, rather than
generically relating to a supernet.

Regards,

Srikanth.