The 8 ports on the 8228 are electro-mechanical.
The Ring-In, Ring-Out ports are not.
The thingy with the red light has a 9-volt battery in it.
It is used to reset the 8 ports.
Insert the thingy into the port until the light turns on then off (takes only a couple
of seconds.
You need to do this to an 8228 any time you have not used it for awhile.