I would definitely have to disagree with "certs can help you get a job they
do not really educate you unless you are completely new to the networking
field." I think that if in the process of getting your cert, you read
something other that exam cram, there is a lot to learn. If you look at the
cert process as a chance to learn new things, rather than as a chance to
memorize a bunch of stuff, there is a lot to be learned.
Maybe you can recite by heart every intricacy of the routing protocols
covered in "Routing TCP/IP" by Doyle. Not just how to configure them, but
how they operate and how they make decisions, or all of the info on
switching contained in "LAN Switching" by Kennedy. But most people can't.
They may know quite a bit, but if you read both of those books from cover to
cover I am willing to bet that somewhere in them there will be at least one
new thing that you learn, or hadn't thought about before.
The process also let's some of us who don't work in an IBM environment learn
something about those protocols. Does this matter? Yes because the more you
understand about different protocols, the deeper you can understand how
yours work, and how to make them interoperatre.
So, if you approach the cert process as a chance to learn that one new
thing, rather that memorize what you need to pass a test, then it can
educate you. They can give you the incentive to read that one book that you
could never find the time to read before, or to try something new in your
lab, and figure out how it really works, rather that just how to configure
it.
You can only learn if you let yourself learn, but if you do then anything
can be a learning experience.