>Local DLCIs take up a smaller field than globally significant addresses.

And what problem does that solve?

I'm thinking of a thread not long ago that pointed out that subnet
masks could be stored as counters.  Bandwidth efficient, but
processor inefficient.

In most modern networks, a bit here and a bit there doesn't make much
difference.  Bandwidth is cheap and getting cheaper.  In networks
where bandwidth is scarce, such as wireless, the bandwidth conserving
measures are far more extensive than just using small fields -- lots
of exotic compression methods.