Reasons.  Plural.

1. This is a loopback interface.  It is always up.  Which means, if you
statically
or dynamically make this /32 host route accessible via anywhere in the
network,
you can connect via IP to this address instead of each regular interface
(serial and ethernet interfaces go down).  So as long as one of your regular
interfaces are up, you can reach the router via this loopback address.  This
could be especially useful for telnet/ssh remote access, snmp, and icmp
testing/troubleshooting/managing of a router.

2. Router-id in routing protocols is determined by the highest loopback
address
(assuming that one is configured).

3. You can use `ip unnumbered' to a loopback address.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but those three are good enough for me.

-dre

9ai0a7$7fb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:9ai0a7$7fb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...