Randy,

I may be prejudiced (see sig below) but have you looked into a Cisco Networking Academy
at your local college?  The cost should be significantly less than buying all the
equipment for a home lab, plus you will get an instructor led course with lots of lab
equipment.  Not all academies are offering CCNP training, but perhaps one near you is.
To find an academy near you use this link:
http://cisco.netacad.net/cnacs/pub-doc/locator.shtml

HTH,
Prof. Tom Lisa, CCAI
Community College of Southern Nevada