I have a general question about the following scenario:

If I have two ways out to the internet using two different routers.  These
two routers and
the firewall are connected to a switch.  If I use a default route on the
firewall with one
path having a lower cost then the other, the firewall should forward the
packets down that path.
Now if the router in the preferred path crashes, will the other path become
active.  In other words
how would the firewall know that the router is down.  The firewalls link is
still active because
it is connected to another device (the switch), it isn't using a 'dynamic
routing protocol'.  So
why would the firewall go to the other default route?  (We could substitute
another routers instead
of a firewall in this scenario.)

Thank you.

Brett Johnson