How sure are you that IP connectivity is working?  Pings from the
network to the machine succeed?  Do pings from the machine to the
network succeed?

If we assume that even IP connectivity is broken, I would have one
suggestion to check into.  we've discussed this on the list before and
didn't come to an agreement about this behavior, but here goes...

If you move the machine from the 5500 to the 6509, the MAC address of
the machine will still be in the CAM table on the 5500 and will not
timeout for five minutes by default.  Try clearing the CAM table on the
5500 and see if that resolves the issue.  Some will tell you that this
is unnecessary because as soon as the 5500 sees the MAC address coming
in on a different port it will update its CAM table immediately.
Regardless, it's worth a shot.

But, you said IP is working so this is probably not the issue.

John

>>> "Nabil Fares"  4/12/01 3:03:30 PM >>>
Greetings all,

Have a question been driving my crazy, hope you guys can help me.

We're replacing a 55XX with a 6509 switch.  Plugged the 6509 in the
55XX
switch so my customer can play around before we replace them (not the
best
thing to do).

Network------55XX------6509-------Novell client

Here's the issue:

When the user moves his machine to the 6509, he doesn't get Novell
logon
promote.  All IP connectivity is working.  If he moves the client back
the 55XX, it works fine.  I've enabled portfast on the 6509, no joy.
Can
someone help me with some pointers?

I hope my question is clear.

Thanks,