More is better, but 4 is enough to accomplish your goals for sure...

 than a 2500 series router? I am referring to the IOS functionality, since
MGS support 11.x or something, not 12 >>

It's going to be a layer 2 box & to be honest, version 10.0 is enough for
what the average person intends to use it for (Telco cloud).  I used an
AGS+/ 11.0(22) in my lab (running as a peer router), with a 2501/ 11.3 & had
no compatibility issues.  I've used AGS's @ layer 2 (Frame-Relay Switching),
with 12.0 & had no compatibility issues.

 interface to an MGS, what do I look for? >>

Same...  The AGS (Access Gateway Server) has 9 cards including processor
card & environmental, MGS (Medium Gateway Server) has 4 cards including
processor (no environmental), & CGS (???) has 2 cards including processor
(no environmental).  For the most part, they're the same boards.  Sometimes
the microcoding (Firmware) is different, but there is no way to tell (that I
know of) before hand... so you just chance it when you buy loose boards.
The AGS has a Cisco Bus (CSC-CCTL) for FDDI, 6 or more 10BaseT  Ethernet, &
HSSI.

 everything a 2513 can do in terms of bridging traffic from Ethernet to
token
> ring? >>

Works great for this.  You do not get NAT & other 11.2 functions though...

 pacific cable? Maybe I could get the connectors and make one myself? I
> haven't had much luck in locating connector kits for HDB60 and DB26. >>

Pacific Cable really is the best for this.  If you have questions, E-mail
the owner "Dave."  The description of what you are looking for is "AGS"
(meaning HD26 on the Pacific site) to whatever you choose.  The crossover
cables average about $50 each.  I gave up trying to make the cables a long
time ago.

To sum it up, the _GS models (ABC routers as they're known) are very
inexpensive for what they deliver.  For the offset in savings ($$$), you
must step back a little with technology & service these old machines
differently.  I started with an AGS running version 9.1.  I told my wife I
didn't want to become an expert @ fixing it.  2 Years later, I have built
about a dozen AGS's/ MGS's/ CGS's for friends & just replaced my last AGS
with a 4500.

Good Luck (you have my sympathy :o) !!!
Phil