Comments within:

-----Original Message-----
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of
David Chandler
Sent:   Saturday, April 14, 2001 11:25 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        designing subnets with all ones/zeros.. [7:695]

I have two questions regarding using the all ones and/or the all zeros
subnet.

Recently one of my co-workers started studying for CCNA and while
reviewing subnets he kept telling me that you could not use the all zero
or all ones subnet.

CL:  classically speaking this is true. Early implementations, etc. these
days this is no longer the case

The Win95, NT, and LINUX hosts didn't have a
problem with it nor did the routers.

CL: a long time ago on this list we had a discussion of wacky subnet masks.
In the course of researching this, I found that the windows IP stack was not
rfc 1812 compliant in that it allowed discontiguous / wacky / non contiguous
ones subnet masks, and that windows also categorically denied use of certain
legitimate ip addresses. Such as 172.16.1.255/16  I believe that this is
corrected in Win2K

 I tested it with RIP & EIGRP.
(skipped OSPF since it is classful).

CL: I believe you meant to say "classless" ;->

I found that Cisco and others vendors agree that it will work, but they
"Strongly discourage using the all ones or all zeros subnets"

CL: where did you find language about "strongly discourage"?

PS: if some of you try testing this; note that prior to 12.1 you'll need
to enter
(config)# ip zero-subnet
before the router will accept a zero subnet on a interface. Starting in
12.1 the zero subnet is enabled by default.

CL: ip subnet-zero

Question #1:     What type problems could you run into by using a all
ones/zero subnet.

CL: issues with older equipment / obsolete equipment / old OS versions

Question #2:     For you folks that are in design; Do you follow or
ignore the "DO NOT USE ALL ONES/ZEROS" rule?

CL: use both all the time. Of course I sell new Cisco equipment, so there is
no issue with most customers. Or I sell EIGRP or OSPF designs. Same thing.
;->

I'm trying to get a real world idea of what the standard practice is.
I work at a large corp, so I haven't a clue what sane people do.

CL: so do I and neither do I.

DaveC