>IP route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 = setups up a default route to either an IP address
>or an active interface. Used when no known route exists via a routing
>protocol. I often use this when a customer is not getting any routes from me
>(not running BGP with me) and only needs a route out of their router (access
>layer) pointed to my gateway. (distribution layer).

There can be multiple static default routes with different
administrative distances. This could let you establish a primary and
a backup link.

Static default routes can be redistributed into a routing protocol.

The default-information-originate command is closely related. It
creates a default route that is redistributed to other routers, BUT
IS NOT USED ON THE ROUTER THAT GENERATED IT. You can have a
completely separate default (e.g., static) on that specific router.

Having default information originate WITHOUT the ALWAYS keyword will
suppress the default route from being advertised unless the local
router has an active default route -- which again might be different
that what is being advertised. With the ALWAYS keyword, the router
will always advertise default, which could result in some traffic
being blackholed (which might be a perfectly reasonable routing
policy)

>IP default-gateway = setups up a default gateway to use if/when routing
>dies. This comes in handy if the IOS happens to get corrupted. The router
>can still route to a directly connected gateway. Generally used while
>troubleshooting the IOS problem. I've used it when a router's IOS has gotten
>corrupted which you'll usually know when you look at the hostname of your
>router and it shows "router-name(boot)>" This way, if need be, I can put a
>new IOS image on the gateway and then TFTP it do the crippled router.
>
>IP default-network = I've seen this before but have never used it myself.
>CCO states:
>
>"The argument network-number is a network number.
>If the router has a directly connected interface onto that network, the
>dynamic routing protocols running on that router will generate or source a
>default route. In the case of RIP and HELLO, this is the mention of the
>pseudo-network 0.0.0.0. In the case of IGRP, it is the network itself,
>flagged as an exterior route.
>A router that is generating the default for a network may also need a
>default of its own. This may be done by specifying a static route to the
>network 0.0.0.0 via the appropriate router."
>
>I'm not sure when/why you would use "default-network."

It's really specific to (E)IGRP. See the archives.

Gateway of last resort is even more bizarre. Again, see the archives.