don't know where the link went on my last post so here is the whole story

ian

Monday, 16 April, 2001, 21:05 GMT 22:05 UK
Cisco warns of lower earnings

'Difficult business decisions': Cisco's John Chambers

After the US markets closed on Monday, Silicon Valley's largest company,
Cisco Systems, cut its earnings and revenue forecasts.
The tech giant, the worldwide leader in networking for the internet, said
that sales for the third quarter would come in 30% lower than the previous
three months.

This may be the fastest any industry our size has ever decelerated

John Chambers, Cisco chief executive

The firm also announced plans to layoff 8,500 people, about 1,000 more than
it previously said last month.

The company said that the current business environment had "never been more
challenging".

Sales for the third quarter would be down around 30% from the second, when
they reached $6.7bn (#4.66bn).

The company said it expects its revenue for the fourth quarter to range from
flat to down 10%.

Cisco blamed "global economic challenges, the slowdown in the global telecom
market and the deceleration in corporate information technology spending"
for its troubles.

"This may be the fastest any industry our size has ever decelerated, which
has required us to make difficult business decisions at unprecedented
speed," said Cisco chief executive John Chambers.

Industry slowdown

High tech stocks have plunged in recent months because of the slowdown in
the US economy and a slump in spending by firms on information technology.

Lucent Technologies, Nortel Networks and Cisco's other rivals have all
either announced huge job cuts or have issued profits warnings.

And more are expected this week, with a slew of firms reporting earnings.

"My real concern is not about Cisco," said one analyst.

"Relatively speaking, the company will do well, but if relatively well is
having revenue difficulties to this order of magnitude, then it is troubling
for the industry".

Cisco shares were reaching $15.90 in after hours trading on Monday, having
closed on the Nasdaq at $17.20, where they had dropped 78 cents, or more
than 4%.

The stocks have plunged from a year high of nearly $72.