On some of the higher end (7000 series) router platforms there is a command
called "Access-list compiled" When added to the IOS config this command
tells the router to re-order the list for the most efficient operation.

Turbo Access Control Lists
"Feature Overview
This feature enables Cisco 7200 and 7500 series routers, and Cisco 12000
series Gigabit Switch Routers to evaluate access control lists (ACLs) for
more expedient packet classification and access checks.

Benefits
Access control lists (ACLs) are normally searched sequentially to find a
matching rule, and ACLs are ordered specifically to take this factor into
account. Because of the increasing needs and requirements for security
filtering and packet classification, ACLs can expand to the point that
searching the ACL adds a significant amount of time and memory when packets
are being forwarded. Moreover, the time taken by the router to search the
list is not always consistent, adding a variable latency to the packet
forwarding. A high CPU load is necessary for searching an ACL with several
entries.

The Turbo ACL feature compiles the ACLs into a set of lookup tables, while
maintaining the first match requirements. Packet headers are used to access
these tables in a small, fixed number of lookups, independently of the
existing number of ACL entries. The benefits of this feature include:

For ACLs larger than 3 entries, the CPU load required to match the packet to
the pre-determined packet-matching rule is lessened. The CPU load is fixed,
regardless of the size of the ACL, allowing for larger ACLs without
incurring any CPU overhead penalties. The larger the ACL, the greater the
benefit.

The time taken to match the packet is fixed, so that latency of the packets
are smaller (significantly in the case of large ACLs) and more importantly,
consistent, allowing better network stability and more accurate transit
times."

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120
limit/120s/120s6/turboacl.htm (Watch for Word wrap)

Ken Claussen MCSE CCNA CCA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The Mind is a Terrible thing to Waste!"