Upgrading a Catalyst 6509 is actually pretty much the same as upgrading a
lower end router like a 2600 with a couple of variations.

Use below commands at your own risk.

Start up your TFTP server and make sure you can ping it from the MSFC
prompt.  Be sure your image is located in the appropriate TFTP directory.
Use the "dir" command to see the images in flash and how much space you have
on your flash.
Use the "copy flash tftp" command to copy backups of your images in flash in
case you need to recover.
Use the "copy run flash" command to get a backup of your config.
Use the "delete bootflash:" command to delete the IOS image file
from flash.
Don't delete the image with "boot" in the filename because that image is
used to load a minimal version of the IOS software in the event that the
normal IOS can't be loaded.
Use the "squeeze bootflash:" command to permanently delete the file from
flash.

Example:

MSFC#dir
Directory of bootflash:/

    1  -rw-     1644336   Jan 01 2000 01:41:17  c6msfc-boot-mz.121-2.E.bin
    3  -rw-    11602828   Jan 01 2000 00:11:57  c6msfc-jsv-mz.121-6.E1

15990784 bytes total (2521184 bytes free)
MSFC#delete bootflash: ?

MSFC#delete bootflash:c6msfc-jsv-mz.121-6.E1
Delete filename [c6msfc-jsv-mz.121-6.E1]? y
Delete bootflash:n? [confirm]y

Use "copy tftp flash" command to copy your new image over to the flash.
Use the command "boot system flash bootflash:" to tell the
MSFC which image to load.
Issue a "dir" and "show run" and make sure that your image names match.
Make sure that you have a command similar to below in your "show run" output
to boot your restricted IOS in case something happens.

boot bootldr bootflash:c6msfc-boot-mz.121-2.E.bin

Save your config.
Reset the MSFC and cross your fingers.

Take your time and make sure that you can go back to your previous config if
the upgrade doesn't work.

Oh, and if you happen to mess up, read the link below.
http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/14.html

Vijay Ramcharan, CCNP,CCDP,MCSE
Network Manager
The Deal, L.L.C.