I have a device in our network that does not have the ability to change
the IP precedence of the traffic it generates.  I wanted to set the IP
precedence to critical for that device and implemented a policy map on
the router it connects to, a 7513 with an RSP4.  This device is a Cisco
3510 MCU video conferencing unit and I'm wondering if I may be creating
one problem by solving another.  here's what I mean...

WFQ by default will look at the IP precedence of a flow when deciding
how to queue it, but queueing only happens when the interface is
congested.  With the policy map I have configured, it has to process
every packet in that flow regardless of congestion.   My question really
is how much latency would processing like this add?  In this scenario,
do the negatives outweigh the positives?

To be honest, I haven't noticed much of a difference but I've been
working with TAC to resolve some performance issues with the 3510 so
we've been trying a lot of different things including playing around the
QoS.  One engineer suggested I use "ip rtp priority" on the outgoing
interfaces but another engineer wants me to remove that and use this
policy map with WFQ.  ugh.....  It's like being pecked to death by bunch
of chickens!

Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you had any insight into the
performance hit that this type of policy map might produce.

Thanks for putting up with my rambling....

John