That example ends in a 3, but a valid RIF will end with a zero because
the last step in a route will always be a ring, not a bridge.  Therefore
the last bridge field will be a zero.

>>> "David Chandler"  4/17/01 2:18:03 PM >>>
Why can't the 3 be correct?

The only 3 in the rif is part of a RD (route
designator field) the 0810 is the RC (route
control field).

RC=
Type 3 bits = 000 (directed explorer
non-broadcast)
Length 5 bits = 01000 = 8 bytes = # of bytes of
the rif RC + RD; in this example 1 RC + 3 RDs (2
bytes each)
Direction 1 bit = 0 = left to right
Largest 3 bit = 001 = 1500 bytes

DaveC

John Neiberger wrote:

> That is a great link!  Thanks for posting it, that's going to be
very
> helpful.

> Hi Mike,
>
> Have been following your statements on various RIF docuements.  Your
> second
> RIF:
> 0810 00A1 00B2 00C3
> cannot be valid because it ends in a 3 - and I assume you know that
> it's
> supposed to end in a 0 so I'll take the guess that this is just a
> typo.
>
> I referenced your two links and I think the Cisco link is incorrect.
> could not find where in the CCPrep document it states that an 8
equals
> a 3
> bridge/ring combo.  On page 5 of the CCPrep paper (almost at the
> bottom) it
> states "A value of '8' means that there are two bridges"  which
would
> be
> consistent with the rest of that RIF.
>
> Have you tried this link: