From: Dennis Laganiere [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 9:39 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: CCIE Written cramsession [7:1446]

I wanted to post some corrections.

I'm the author of the CCIE Written Cramsession that you can grab for free
from brainbuzz (www.cramsession.com). I wrote the cramsession quickly by
basically just typing up my study notes and passing them along.  I've had a
lot of great feedback from people, and I've found the document copied to a
bunch of other websites (sometimes without even bothering to removing my
name from the bottom... :-))

Anyway, in the last six months people have had a chance to let me know about
some errors in the document and I wanted to pass along so that people aren't
studying inaccurate information.  The most talked about problem with the
cramsession is the whole "host---router---router---host" thing.  Trust me,
in long discussions, I've tried to defend it, but I was wrong; just flat-out
wrong.

Anyway, I don't want to make a career out of the CCIE Written exam, but
since I don't know if I can get the Webmaster to implement the corrections,
I just wanted to pass them along for general consumption.  Also, since I'm
going out on a limb ask the site to do an update, if anybody has found any
other problems I'm unaware of, please let me know pretty quick so I get them
included.  Thanks, and good luck with your studying...

Thanks all...

------

Page 10-11: Delete the entire section on "Reliability of Protocols". (I must
have been drinking that night, because even I can't figure out what I was
attempting to say!!!).

Page 13: Delete the entire section about "rebroadcasting". (I must have
written this the same night!!!).

Page 13: In the section "A View of Bridging" change "... all devices on a
network resided locally." to "... most devices..."   Also, change "bridges"
to "bridges and routers" in the next sentence.

Page 15&16: Both example RIFs should be left-to-right instead of
right-to-left.

Page 16: The second RIF example should have a length of "up to 1,500 bytes".

Page 22: Replace the first paragraph of the HSRP description with "HSRP
provides IP networks with the ability to have a standby router for critical
links, allowing a backup router to assume the function of the primary router
if an equipment failure were to occur."  This should tell you that the
router is standing by, not the routing protocol.

Page 34: Delete the line "IPX Split Horizon is not supported in any of the
IPX feature sets" from the Routing IPX section.  I say delete it, because I
can't find confirmation that this is either true or false, and I don't
remember where I got it from.  If anybody knows for sure, please, let me
know.

Page 35:  Replace the first paragraph about Appletalk with "Appletalk is a
proprietary protocol developed by Apple Computer that was specifically
designed to be simple for the end-user to use."  Sorry Apple people, I
didn't mean to offend.

Page 41: In the ATM section, AAL is described as being the "Adoption" Layer,
when it reality it the "Adaption" Layer (notice the "a" in the middle).

Page 44: There are two places where PPP should be PAP.

Lastly, apparently I have a tendency to use the broadcast WAY too much, so
keep an eye out for it (if you find specific instances where I've used it
wrong, please let me know so I can pass it along)...