Hello Group,

I'm getting a little confused about configuring Async, Dialers and Lines.

I've been reading the BCRAN book and looking at the sample config
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/service/configs/async/async_ip_st
atic_aux.htm

I'm not sure how to configure 'Line' for modems. There are a few ways of
doing it that I have seen, using 'modem autoconfigure discovery', setting
speed/stopbits/flowcontrol, and specifying a modem type from the modemcap.
I'm confused by the various ways, and would like to know what really is
necessary.

Secondly, the relation between Lines and Async interfaces are abit blurry
for me as well. From my knowledge, Lines are used to configure modem related
stuff and Async are used to config higher level things such as ppp and
dialer. Am I close?

Finally, I see in the config from the Cisco site that they use an Async
interface and a Dialer interface. I was trying to configure the Async
interface and putting the 'dial map' command in the Async interface, and now
I see it in the Dialer interface. Isn't Dialer interfaces only necessary if
you want to bundle multiple Async/BRI interfaces together into one logical
Dialer interface?

I must say that Line/Async/Dialer configs are the most longest, confusing
and least intituitive for something this simple. Most of the time I remember
most of the configs that are necessary, but sometimes miss out on a few
which makes it not work.

Anyone have any tips they wish to share to help remember, or is it just
something I will get a hang of after awhile?

Thanks

Albert