Hey, not a bad idea!  The Cubbies and Sammy Sosa are in town to get
punished by the Rocks.  That would be a nice little getaway.
Unfortuntely....you guessed....CCIE study group meeting tonight.  ;-)

>>> "James Haynes"  4/24/01 1:30:48 PM >>>
John,

Have you considered going out to a movie, ballgame, or anything else
that
might get you away from your routers for a few hours? :-)

--
James Haynes
Network Architect
""John Neiberger""  wrote in message
> I have received results from a TAC case about this familiar issue.
For
> those coming late to the picnic, the issue was that the presence of
OSPF
> or IS-IS overrides 'no ip classless' in the router configuration and
> would force the router to behave classlessly.  The TAC engineer
> consulted with some Development Engineers and here is what they
said:

> Yes, we do this if the default (or the supernet) route
>  is supplied by OSPF or ISIS (I guess EIGRP should be there,
>  but it is not) and the part of the code that requested
>  the RT lookup didn't not specify to ignore the default
>  route if there's no specific subnet (which is the case
>  for the locally originated and transit packets).
>  The assumption is that it is safe to use a default/supernet
>  route installed by a classless protocol.
>
> So what ever you and me have seen in our testing is correct
behaviour.

> So, our original guesses were correct.  The router assumes that if
> we're running OSPF or IS-IS then we want classless routing even if
we
> didn't specify 'ip classless' in the config.  However, an important
> point is that this applies only if the supernet was installed by the
> classless protocol.  If OSPF or IS-IS is running on a router but the
> supernet was installed by another process, then classful routing
would
> still apply without the addition of 'ip classless' to the config.
>
> I've also discovered that if you add 'ip clueless' to the config,
the
> following occurs:
>
> First, ip classless is overridden but only in cases where no ip
> classless was manually configured previously and was not the default
> setting, unless the router has not had any previous configuration and
is
> running at least 12.1(5F)T12.  This does not apply for any 12.0
images
> except 12.0(6)S but does apply to any 11.2 image after 11.2(26c)P;
>
> Second, the gateway of last resort might be chosen by the RT lookup
> process if the GOLR was set by a classless routing protocol with an
> administrative distance lower than that of any other classless or
> classful routing protocol on the router, except in the case of BGP
or
> EGP in which case the administrative distance must be at least equal
> that of the routing protocol which previously installed the GOLR, if
> already present;
>
> Thirdly, if the lowest-weighted routing protocol is OSPF and the
GOLR
> is advertised to neighbor as an E2 route, then the neighbor router
may
> choose to use that route unless another neighbor has advertised the
same
> supernet route as an E1 route.  In which case--but especially when
> utilizing IP over Avian Carriers (with QoS)--the RT lookup will
choose
> the Type 1 External route unless EIGRP is running on this router as
> well.  In that case, the GOLR will be set via EIGRP because Cisco
> prefers EIGRP to OSPF and we should all use that anyway because,
don't
> ya know, OSPF is harder to configure and requires way too much
thought
> to begin with.  IS-IS is just out of the question.  However, if a
router
> learns a supernet route via OSPF and IS-IS *and* EIGRP then you will
be
> severely punished.  Flogging is generally suggested.  As an
alternative,
> only run EIGRP and leave "ip clueless" configured.
>
> Any other configuration will provide ambiguous results.
>
> HTH,
> John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]