Thanks Chuck,

I think the number of bits in the mask equals the number of highest order
bits the addresses have in common.

By "highest order" bit, does that mean a bit set to 1?

As for the mask being 16, that's what the approved solution for a virtual
lab says.  It is possible the solution is wrong.  At any rate, it has me
confused.

Steve