It is not possible to manage the intermediate SONET devices in the way
you describe.  The intermediate SONET devices will not look into the
sonnet payload envelope. They have no idea what is being carried within
the SPE.

I would check into what management options the vendor of the SONET
devices provided for.  SONET has inband OAM (Operation Administration &
Maintenance) functions.  Most likely the SONET equipment also has some
form of out-of-band management SNMP, CLI, CLNS & CMIP.

I am assuming when you say "SONET devices" you are refering to MUXs
repeaters etc... not other layer 3 devices...

DaveC