I have a question:

Which way is better to configure your 5000 switch for ip configuration for
vlan2 ?

should you first just configure it using the standard commands of:

set int sc0 172.16.10.17 255.255.255.0

and then change that to vlan2

or simply:

set int sc2 172.16.10.17.255.255.255.0

The book i am looking at suggests using vlan1 for management purposes only
and
then setting users up on other vlans.  But at the same time, it shows the
configuration for vlan2 first being set up on vlan1..(sybex switching, pg 70
and 71).

I guess my question is, where does the inital configuration take place,
where
you want that address to be or on the default vlan??

Thanks,
Jennifer Cribbs

Have a great day!
Jenn