I'm not too sure about the P release, but I think it implies some
additional features.  The T (technology) release supports a greater
range of hardware than the mainline release.  Consequently, it is
released later than the main release because there is more code involved
and more bugs to fix.

The XE and other similar designations are early releases for specific
platforms or specific technologies.  If you have one of those releases
it's probably a good idea to upgrade to the full mainline release when
it becomes available.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, though.  I think it takes a
psychic to fully understand IOS and the Ways of Cisco.  Trying to figure
out their IOS releases can be like wading through a swamp full of
alligators:  it's very difficult and you have to watch your hiney.

>>> "John Green"  4/26/01 2:23:25 AM >>>
please let me know about the IOS release versions

eg, what exactly would the following mean ? i need to
decipher the P ,T ,XE stuff.

11.2(11)P and above
11.(3)3T and above
12.0, 12.0(1)T - 12.0(4)T, 12.0(4)XE