So, does this mean it should really be called 80BaseTX/FX because of the
20% overhead introduced by 4B/5B? :)

Prof. Tom Lisa, CCAI
Community College of Southern Nevada
Cisco Regional Networking Academy

Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

  4B/5B is a signal encoding scheme. It's used in 100BaseTX and
  100BaseFX
  also, so it's rather important to know. I'm going to have all the
  gory
  details in an upcoming white paper at
  http://www.certificationzone.com.
  Here's quick preview.

  100BaseFX uses Non Return to Zero, Invert on One (NRZI), as does
  FDDI.
  100BaseTX uses a variation of NRZI called either NRZI-3 or Multiple
  Level
  Transition - 3 (MLT-3).

  A disadvantage of NRZI and MLT-3 is that a steady stream of zeros,
  not
  uncommon in data, is represented as no transition, which is
  indistinguishable from no signal or a dead link. Another problem with
  no
  transitions is that the phase-locked loop that the receiving station
  uses
  to recover the clock signal can drift. If enough drift is introduced,
  the
  station cannot accurately receive data. To avoid this problem, the
  physical
  coding sublayer (PCS) first encodes data using 4B/5B translation.

  With 4B/5B translation, each possible 4-bit pattern is assigned a
  5-bit
  code. The PCS maps four-bit nibbles in the data into five-bit codes,
  and
  vice versa, using a 4B/5B translation table. Every 5-bit code has at
  least
  two transitions to ensure proper clocking.

  Isn't that fascinating! Just kidding! ;-)

  Priscilla

  At 09:51 PM 4/25/01, William Wong wrote:
  >Dear all
  >
  >I couldn't find any information on this.  Can you guys tell me what
  is this?

  >Thanks.
  >
  >William
  >Report misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]