If it's a 3rd party recruiter, they're likely wondering because they have a
client who has requested the recruiter find candidates that have achieved
CCNP
certification.  If you're close to completing your certification, they might
be able to persuade the client to look at your resume and consider you for
the
position.

I achieved my CNE and MCSE certifications back in 1994 and have over 12 years
actively working in the IT industry.  I began programming at age 12, and by
age 14, started the local "computer club" at my school teaching programming
during the lunch hour.  From the age of 4, my dad made the mistake of turning
me loose on his department's mainframe (playing games, or so he thought).
Once he was out of sight, I'd exit the games and try hacking my way through
the system using the commands I had seen him use while on the job.  I've been
around computers ever since I can remember (29 years and counting!)

Just because I've fooled around with a mainframe (and can pick my way through
most mains and minis today), that I've got 12 years professional support
experience, that I have achieved two other major certifications in addition
CCNA and CCDA doesn't give anyone the confidence that I can support an
internetwork infrastructure that requires someone with the skill level of a
CCNP -- especially in light of the fact braindump sites (and test quizzers
that provide actual exam questions) have become so prevalent.

The requirement for CCNP certification defines the minimum skill level
required by the employer.  If you have the skills and experience but not the
certification, by indicating you'd be able to pass the exams in a brief
period
of time, you'd be a candidate that the employer would likely look at.  If you
can't achieve that level of certification in a relatively short period of
time, you're underqualified for what is expected of you.

  -- Leigh Anne