Actually, I don't really think it's considered a "stunt".  A lot of other
CEO's do this as well such as Larry Ellison of Oracle.  The salary doesn't
really mean too much to them when they do have stock options that are worth
a lot more in the millions and billions of dollars.

But I think it's important to recognize that stock options aren't actually
considered cold cash until you exercise them.  I don't know how to exactly
explain it, but it's not a direct expense to the company as an employee's
salary would be.  So with John Chambers taking a $1 yearly salary, that
actually helps in contributing to reduce the company's expenses.  Maybe not
as much as people would like to see it, but every penny counts.  Chambers
personally stated that he did it to also help keep 2 or 3 important execs
(who he said who were very close to him) with the company.

All in all, I think it's pretty fair for Chambers to have the amount of
options that he does have.  If he does a good job, the company will then do
well and so will his stock (more $$ for him) and also for the shareholders
and employees.  It's a win/win situation.  If he performs horribly as a
company leader, then his options will suffer and his performance will
reflect that.  I personally think that it will be a true test to how good
Chambers really is.  If he really is "All That", then he will definitely
pull Cisco through this economic downturn and prove to people that he can
really lead.  I hope he does.  Cisco really holds a big part of shaping the
internet and the way things work.

Just my 2 cents,
Roger