TCP "Slow Start" is a term used to describe TCP's windowing mechanism and
the process that it goes throught to expand and contract the window size.
It describes how TCP starts out with a small window size and slowly
increases it. Then, upon loss of data will immediately reduce this window
only to slowly ramp it up again.

Hope this helps...