Chuck,
Couple of different approaches to the below:
 - on F/R links, you can set low priority packets to be discard eligible,
though I'm not sure that very many frame relay SPs support this
 - features such as Random Early Discard/Detect are often employed on links
subject to congestion to avoid the phenomina you describe below
 - Queuing approaches such as WRED and WFQ can also make sure that priority
traffic gets through in times of congestion.

Irwin