Either way, both posts were very informative.  It's like reading the MS-DOS
5 manual from front to back because you're stuck at your Dad's office during
a 36 hour server emergency (hmm, I think I was in 7th grade summer break or
so).  Any other time, any other place, it'd bore you to tears, but it's
kinda cool reading, and afterward you end up with a ton of miscellaneous
tid-bits like this.

Here's one for you:

'no ip mroute-cache' set on an ip numbered serial interface on a 2620 with
12.1.2XK2 will cause it to stop forwarding IP packets on the next and future
boots through anything but a loopback interface (can't even ping an up,up
FastEthernet interface from the router itself).  XK1 or 12.1 general release
versions don't have this problem.  'ip unnumbered  on the same
serial interface has no problem with the command.  We went and numbered all
interfaces (for testing and management reasons), and then found this problem
(which only occurs if the serial drops, or if the router reboots).  The next
two days, we had extended power loss at a mountain site, and fiber back-hoed
the next day, so we learned first-hand.  TAC couldn't believe it, but we
proved it with 3 different routers that were about to go out to new sites
(we had 50 production sites configured like this, and were rather scared to
know what happened if our core routers bounced and were about to go back and
unnumber them all otherwise).

Anyway, we set 'ip mroute-cache' on all routers right away once we learned
it, and then will be upgrading all to 12.1.8 at the next allotted downtime.

--
Jason Roysdon, CCNP+Security/CCDP, MCSE, CNA, Network+, A+
List email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]