From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 12:03 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Passed CCNP [7:2786]

Hello group:

I began my quest for Cisco certifications in December 2000, after getting a
severance package (results of a merger) from the employer I spent 19 years
adding to their profits!  Getting a servance was the best thing that could
have happened, even @ 48!!  It enabled me to return to the field I enjoyed
earlier in my career, telecom.

The study materials I used and some subjective observations:

CCNA - CCNA Study Guide (2nd edition) by Todd Lammle.  The e-trainer was a
great addition to an otherwise poorly written book.  The book is laced with
errors but to Sybex credit there is an errata page!

CCNP - by order of study/exams
Switching by Sean Odom & Doug Hammond.  Exam Prep also had many errors and
Coriolis had no errata page!  I did like the Joe scenarios in this book.
However, Sean provided support for any questions via e-mails.

CCNP Routing by Claire Gough was a technically correct book but not a very
good read.  It too, had errors and Cisco Press had no errata!

Remote Access by Craig Dennis & Eric Quinn was an Exam Cram book.  A nice
resource if you already have the background.  I don't recall many errors
with
this one.

Support Study Guide by Mark Buchman with an army of supporting writers!
This
was the best read among the books chosen.  Had some errors in the most
unfortunate sections; frame relay and ISDN and no errata by Syngress.

I spent a grand total of $826.91 (including 5 exams) and plenty of hours of
self-study but it was well worth it!!  I also purchased a discounted copy of

ACRC published by Syngress, I haven't completed reading it but thus far I
like the content.

My biggest complaint would be the quality of books out there!  Particularly
at the introductory level, folks new to the profession may not necessarily
know the difference in what's in print and the facts.  But then again I
suppose they could spend $$$$ to attend a class conducted/prepared by these
same writers. It appears the quest for the "publisher" recognition and the
incoming dollars are the motivating factor.

My point is: obtaining a CCxx, MCxx or whatever cert indicates the ability
learn, not to write or teach!!

Now begin a quest to find a competent CCIE level book....

Thanks

Rick