Hi all, I have a challenge that I could use some good advice to design.

 I have a present topology of a DEC box that has a SNA gateway installed to
translate Decnet to SNA and the send through a modem eliminator (to provide
clock at 9.6k :~}) to an IBM3745 FEP. Those FEP services are being moved to
our central location in another city but the DEC services are staying put.
There is a Cisco routed network already in place between these two sites
with a 2502 on one end and a 3640 on the other. The 3640 is at the central
data center and has an OSA attachment to the mainframe. As I understand it,
OSA is layer 3 and depends on IP addresses but Decnet's addressing is layer
2 using the MAC address. The DEC box is Ethernet connected but the 2502 at
that site is a Token Ring router. There is existing bridging between Token
Ring and Ethernet segments at that site but I'm not sure if the DEC segment
is already bridged.

What I think I would like to do is to remove that SNA gateway from that DEC
box and depend on the LAN/WAN to get Decnet to the central site. I'm pretty
sure that the two routers will do this but once we get the information to
the central site, I'm not sure how to get it out of the router and into the
mainframe. We have thought of putting an SNA gateway at the central site and
basically recreating what they had up there but I'm hoping that we can use
the OSA instead.

I do understand that the configuration of the routers is more than just
enabling Decnet, but I don't see any insurmountable hurdles there. Please
correct me if I'm wrong.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!!

 A point to point leased line is undesirable because of the costs. Telco's
pricing has a full T1 cheaper than a 9.6 circuit but we don't need that
bandwidth and equipment to throttle down seems a waste.

Thank you,
Larry Puckette
Network Analyst CCNA,MCP,LANCP
Temple Inland