Although you don't have to use VLAN 1 for management, it is highly suited
for this purpose.  For example, you cannot delete VLAN 1, you cannot Prune
VLAN 1 from VTP advertisements, you cannot remove VLAN 1 from ISL/802.1q
trunks, CDP runs on VLAN 1 (as far as I recall), the  default native VLAN
for trunks is VLAN one etc etc.

Hence, in my opinion, it makes tremendous sense to leave VLAN 1 for
management and assign other VLANs for user traffic.  Its a nice marriage :)

Pete