ccnawan wrote:

> I have to ask this question in light of so many experienced certified
people
> looking for work. Why is there so many advertising on the jobs list, and
> here. I see it everywhere, if being certified is worthwhile? It is not
> because of the recent down turn. I saw this before. The advertised figure
is
> 150,000 supposedly open computer positions in the U.S.

These figures are misleading.  Open positions or not, companies
tend to make do with what they have, and esp. in a time of uncertain
economic conditions such as this.  Certifications help, but they
don't, IMO, do the job alone.  You need a broad base of experience
to give weight to the certifications, not the other way around.

> My last position my pay was 54,000 + expenses, mileage, pretty good for
> Kentucky. I recently got a call that wanted to pay me 40,000 for a more
> advanced position. Network engineer. Companies are trying to pay less, and
> less. Auto mechanics make more than 40,000 a year.

College graduates in the computer field average 40K as a starting
wage.  I have been looking for a new position over the last few
weeks, and have gotten several offers, the smallest of which was a
15% raise, and the greatest close to 40%.  Its all in how you sell
yourself, and what skills you have.  As a reference, my current pay
is closer to 100 than it is to 50.  Keep looking, its out there.