WOW- good question  !!!  RIP Version 1 picks the configured interface Subnet
Mask to define it's Classful Network.  RIP version 2 is Classless & carries
the Subnet Mask in it's updates.  I have redistributed RIP Version 1 into
OSPF, but I'm not sure that knowledge totally applies.  I wonder if version
1 & 2 must be redistributed or they connect much like IGRP & EIGRP.  I'll be
reading & watching.

 This sounds too much like something you might see on the CCIE lab :-0
 Phil