The "block size" will usually be a factor of 2, and the actual value of
octets will usually be (factor of 2)-1.
I think you'll find that, if the above is not the case, then the addresses
will not be consecutive.
I think there was a thread a few weeks ago, where someone wanted to filter
odd or even addresses. The wildcard mask for that would not have complied
with the above.

Subnet masks will always create blocks which are a factor of 2. Wildcard
masks will usually, but it is permissable to use other values for specific
cases.

Anybody care to blow my answer out of the water?

Cheers,

Gaz