I came into IT from commercial fishing almost 20 years ago.  Kept my fingers
in that exercise, as much as possible, over the years.  I work in education,
so summers, in the past, have had some time to get out on the boat.  I had
to give that up, recently; just not enough time for both IT and that kind of
'part time' work.

It's true what they say about commercial fishing.  My wife and I have lost
several friends over the years to the 'worlds most dangerous profession".
Many of us have come close.  Comes with the territory.

There was a time, though, a few years back, that I buried a couple of
friends within a short period.  While not the diagnosis of record, many of
us saw a direct relation with their early demise (one was 43 years old) and
on-the-job stress related illness(es).  They were both IT professionals.  So
called 'safe' profession.

So, keep in mind, gentle readers, that stress can, and does, kill just as
surely as that 90 foot wave in "Perfect Storm".

If you don't have the temperament to deal with that stress, be careful and
realistic with yourself.  Do take positive action if you find yourself(ves)
'out there' in high-stress land.  No amount of compensation can make up for
the long-term harm that can sneak up on the unwary.

On the boat, with the crew, we have a saying; "Brothers of a common misery."
We also say a rising tide raises all ships.  While IT folks don't generally
depend upon each other for life itself, we should keep in mind that we can
find ourselves working closely with one another throughout our careers.
Deliberately spreading more misery (read stress) produces neither less
misery nor more common brotherhood.

It can, indeed, lead to worse scenarios.

The IT job is hard enough.

Very best, G.