thanks for the response - I'm not sure that I explained myself clearly,
should have done a diagram

|------------|  ether1
    |        |
 fe|        |fe
   R1    R2
ge|        |fe
    |        |
|-----------|  ether2

        |fe
      R3

in view of the above, R3 has attached FE route to each of R1 and R2 which
will each announce ether1 with equal metrics, based on the equal cost
upstream.  does R3 have any way of knowing that R1 is GE attached to ether1,
and that it (R3) should prefer the route via R1?

what I am going after is whether, when one might have different bandwidths
(10/100/1000 for ethernet), a router would be able to discern from the
ourting information, which router to prefer in the case of there being
parallel paths to a network, in the case of those routers having
different-speed attachments to an interrim, attached, broadcast network.

hope I've made sense this time ;-)

regards

Andy