Your very urgent problem is going to require NEW BOOT ROMS for your 26xx.

    I have encountered this bug before and there isn't a good way around it
if you need
to use tftp. I escaped my troubles by borrowing a Cisco 2650 that had newer
boot roms
and using it to load the flash for my impaired 2621.

   If you've got the router on contract Cisco will send you new boot roms -
I've got to
believe if I figured this out many other people have already reported the
bug - but if
you have no contract you need to pay for one (about $360 US for a 26xx) or
borrow a
newer router to load the flash.