Kevin,

What do you mean by "get a handle" on?  Do you want to know where it's
originating (geographically)?  Do you want to know the ISP that owns
it?  Do you want to know what the machine name is and the OS that's running
on the machine?
I know of a number of tools, many of which I'm sure you're familiar with,
that will allow quite a bit of information to be gleaned from a given IP
address.  Specify what you'd like to know and I'll give some suggestions to
the list.

Thanks,
Craig