As one that usually plays the "voyeur" on this list, I like to pop in at
times and interject my $.02 (2 cents).

To my point...All of the jobs that I have been fortunate to come across were
never listed in any job search databases, or classifieds for that matter.
Even with the slow down in the economy, especially in the IT arena, there
will always be a need for good support personnel. Whether it is Cisco,
Juniper or any other product line, the support engineers will be needed. The
hardest hit is with new product development and sales. You may see a slight
slow down in upgrades or all out purchases of new equipment, but there will
always be a need to "make what we have work".

My next comments are not meant to offend but if you have to look in the job
search engines or classifieds for a job, you may want to assess yourself. If
you have networked yourself, even if the circle of associates is limited,
your technical reputation should be what drives the recruiters/HR
reps/hiring managers  to call you. All of your peers do not always work with
you (at least they shouldn't), and they are the ones that know of openings,
and if they feel you could do the job, don't you think they would mention it
to you? Especially if you made it know to your peers that you are looking
for a "change in environment". These peers/associates can be the best form
of a job search, because if you are as good as you may think you are...the
job will find you.

Alas, my point has been made...back into voyeur mode..but before I go, I
must give respect to the many professionals on this list. I have learned so
much from all of you. And truly look forward to the day that our paths
cross.

Rick Watson