Search on CCO for "BRI0 is up, line protocol is up (spoofing)" turned up:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/112/chapter16.htm

"
What happens to a dialer interface that is not connected? If protocol is not
up and running on the interface, the implication is that the interface
itself will not be up. Routes which rely on that interface will be flushed
from the routing table, and traffic will not be routed to that interface.
The result is that no calls would be initiated by the interface.

The solution to counter this possibility is to allow the state up/up
(spoofing) for dialer interfaces. Any interface can be configured as a
dialer interface. For example, a Serial or Async interface could be made
into a dialer by adding the command dialer in-band or dialer dtr to the
interface's configuration. These lines are unnecessary for interfaces that
are by nature a dialer interface (BRIs and PRIs). The output for a show
interface will look like this:

Montecito# show interfaces bri 0
BRI0 is up, line protocol is up (spoofing)
  Hardware is BRI
  Internet address is . . .
In other words, the interface "pretends" to be up/up so that associated
routes will remain in force and so that packets can be routed to the
interface.

"

--
Jason Roysdon, CCNP+Security/CCDP, MCSE, CNA, Network+, A+
List email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]